A Los Angeles Pedestrian Accident Attorney Can Fight for Damages
A pedestrian is any person walking or crossing a street or sidewalk. There are many reasons why people may choose to walk rather than drive a motor vehicle, including convenience, cost, exercise, and to improve the environment. Whatever the reason, a pedestrian has as much legal right to use streets and roadways as a motor vehicle driver. Even so, when a pedestrian accident occurs, it can be life-altering for the pedestrian as a person is not a match for a 3,000-pound machine. If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, contact a Los Angeles pedestrian accident attorney at Culver Legal. With their invaluable experience on your side, you can rest assured your case is being handled with the utmost competence and care.
Injuries Common in Pedestrian Accidents In Los Angeles
Motorists in pedestrian accidents rarely experience any injuries. The pedestrians, however, often suffer a wide range of injuries, including:
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Broken Bones
- Lacerations & Cuts
- Internal Bleeding
- Shoulder Displacement
- Jaw Fractures
- Organ Damage
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs)
- Other catastrophic injuries
Ways to Avoid Pedestrian Involved Accidents
There are simple preventive measures that pedestrians and motor vehicle operators can use to prevent pedestrian-involved accidents.
For the Pedestrian
- Be vigilant and stay constantly aware of your surroundings.
- Do not be distracted by electronic devices, such as smartphones, ipads, or headphones.
- Whenever feasible, use crosswalks and intersections to cross a roadway. When it is not possible to do so, pedestrians should wait for large gaps in traffic to ensure they have enough time to cross safely.
- Do not assume a driver sees you.
- Hold the hand of any children or elderly people walking with you.
- While crossing a street, continuously look for oncoming traffic.
- When walking, stay on a sidewalk when possible and walk against the flow of traffic.
- When possible, walk during the day. If you must walk at night, try to stay in well-lit areas and carry a flashlight with you.
- Look around a parked vehicle before actually stepping out past them.
- Wear brightly colored clothing.
For the Motor Vehicle Driver
- Do not engage in distracted driving. Pay attention to your surroundings at all times.
- Do not speed. The faster you are traveling, the longer it takes to suddenly stop when necessary.
- Even when you feel you have the right of way, yield to pedestrians.
- Obey all traffic signals, signs, and crossing guards.
- Slow down in residential areas, around schools, and other areas with a high concentration of foot traffic.
- Be especially careful when driving in reverse, as the blind spots in your vehicle can make it difficult to see pedestrians and small children.
- Do not be quick to dart around a vehicle that stops in front of you as there may be a pedestrian crossing in front of them.
- Never pass a stopped school bus with its “STOP” sign extended.
Speak With A Knowledgeable Los Angeles Pedestrian Accident Attorney
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, let a Los Angeles pedestrian accident attorney at Culver Legal assist you in obtaining the compensation you deserve. For a free, no-obligation consultation, call us at 1-310-600-7881 or on our contact page.